Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Little helps and Resources

Last year my nephew was diagnosed with autism. The frustrating part was that my Mother and I could see that my nephew has the classic signs of autism before the official diagnoses. But after working with special needs and different disabilities with a large range for five years. Everything from autism to def to physical disabilities to intellectual disability to memory loss to vision loss to mental illness. So it has been easy for my Mother and I to spot a person with different disabilities.

For three years we have been telling my brother Jeremy that his son has the classic sings of autism. He has told us that "he is just a late bloomer." It was frustrating for us because my brother would not believe us, when we said that his son has the classic signs of autism. Read is entries on this subject on his blog Scothoser's Corner.

When his son was three, his son was still not talking. Jeremy started to be concerned. It took Jeremy a lot to convince his wife and her family that the lack of speech at age three was not normal. They took their son to a speech therapist. This is his words: "The speech therapist diagnosed his speech development at 11 months, and identified some common behaviors that were typical with autistic children."

Jeremy talked with my parents and asked for advice. My Father said: "You do everything that you can for your child. You love them. You treat them the way a loving father would treat a loving son. " This is very good advice. You see my brother is also on the autism spectrum, as well as other social and communication disorders. Jeremy was scared out of his mind for the possibility that his son may have autism. When the doctor diagnosed him with autism. Jeremy and his wife was devastated.

Parents will go though a type of mourning. This is normal. Lots of parents will experience something like this type of mourning. The child in question will not experience a "normal" life.
Example:
  • the possibility of not having friends
  • may not go to prom
  • my never learn to be self reliant
  • may not experience any kind of sports
  • may not learn to play a musical instrument
  • may not experience camp. This list goes on
I have found web sites that can educate parents and teachers about different disabilities. On my side bar I have mostly links about autism but this link Disabilities resources is for a brooder range of different disabilities. Check it out.

"Resources, and knowledge empower individuals."

No comments: