Monday, October 20, 2008

Genealogy

This is a poem that my family always loved.  I thought that I would share it with you.  All of you with Scottish in your family tree you will love this.  The one's with Irish........I'm so sorry.  I must say I have both in my big and very colorful family tree.

My mother's eyes were Irish;
My father's eyes were, too,
And all my lovely sisters
Had eyes of Irish blue

And when the boys, they came along,
Ah, sure, they did beguile.
For each of them was surely blessed 
With a splendid Irish smile.

And proud we were of Irish blood
As pure as shamrock green,
As sturdy an Irish family 
As ever could be seen.

And then we joined the Mormon Church-
Ah, surely that was grand!
And with true Irish vigor
We answered each demand.

We kept the Word of Wisdom;
We paid our tithing too.
We all did every little thing
That we were asked to do.

We did our genealogy
There, duty was all fun
With joyful pride we studied hard
About each Irish son,

We wrote it on the family chart
(We wrote it all in green):
Each Irish name we added on,
Each fellow, each Colleen.

And then there came that frightful day
The shock we had to bear!
Father came home looking pale;
We gathered 'round his chair.

And mother's Irish eyes were sad;
Father's eyes were too.
And sister's eyes were full of tears
That washed the Irish blue.

My brother's splendid Irish smiles 
Soon faded all away,
And all our Irish tongues were stilled,
For there was naught to say.

This thing our father told us-
Believe it? We could not!
For in our Irish line he found
Great-grandpa was a Scot!

~Lillian livingston Wooley
The Ensign November 1972

I might just add that you never know what you might find in your great big family tree.  I myself have found that one of my great-grandpa's lost his tempter and a wrench went into the queen's coach.  This was way back somewhere in the 1800's.  After what great-grandpa had done he decide to leave the country very fast.  

We also found out that one of our great-grandma's was beheaded in the tower of London, and well some say; that she is still running around within that very same tower.

No comments: