Saturday, April 25, 2009

Teaching an artistic child music?

For the past month I have playing with an idea. For those who don't know, I play the violin, I have been playing for little over 20 years. Now my nephew Jonathan who has autism loves the violin. I have seen him taking out 2 of my violin's more then once tying to play it. That is when I decided to hide them. My brother Jeremy has also told me that he has seen Jonathan take out his guitar use his walking stick and use it as a violin bow. Another idea is to teach him the piano.

You can teaching an artistic child musical instruments. The question is how? For one thing he/she needs to learn by ear. I have found some discussions sites on the subject. Are they helpful? That depends on what you are looking for and what you want to know. Here are the sites and you can judge for yourself.

My first lesson with an autistic student
Teaching music to autistic kids
Violin masterclass
Teaching music to handicapped kids

Now this is just talking stage. I may need to wait until he his older, he is only 4 years old. I need to see what Jeremy and his wife Kristal say about this undertaking. He will also need a violin that is his size, if it come to that.

Coming from a music junkie, music can be a wonderful tool. There have been so many studies on music. It can rise or lower your GPA, blood pressure, mood, intelligence, and make the people around you calm. You may have notice on my play list I have mostly instrumental music, not a lot of vocal's. It's not that I don't like vocal's, I do have a lot of favorite singers. Instrumental music creates less emotional stress.

No comments: