Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Princess and the Bear

The Princess and the Bear The Princess and the Bear by Mette Ivie Harrison


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars



View all my reviews.


This book had some of the elements of a Germanic fairytale. No surprising, the author has a PHD. in Germanic literature. But still lacking the true Germanic tale. All of the Germanic tale's that I have read are well hmmmm............scary for little kids. Like for when the parents want their son or daughter to stop sucking there thumb. They would tell the tale of a boy who would not stop sucking his thumb and then with gigantic scissors his thumbs were cut off. Here is a picture of the book These tales were written by Dr. Heinrich Hoffman in 1845. These tales were design to make the children behave, as sick as they are.

I still had a hard time reading this,(The Princess and the Bear). It is easy reading but still, it was too out there for me. Like for example dead bodies coming to life by the "magic" of animals. One good thing is that the two books that I have read of his are nothing like this German book of tales.

2 comments:

Cindy B said...

Glad to see your blog! But I have to say that that creepy Struwwelpeter would not be my first choice for a bedtime story. I like them much less gruesome.

Hollie Robb said...

I know I had to study them while I was taking German. They are disturbing.