Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanks Giving

This year for Thanksgiving, not everyone will be home. Some of my family members will be with their in-laws, one brother will be in Afghanistan. We still pray for his safe return home. All sorts of people have asked me what my family and I will do this Thanksgiving with one brother in a war zone. "Not all of your family will be their!" My question is:

"What are we supposed to do?"

We cant change the circumstances; we will still have family, not all of us will be there. We are however, still going to calibrate how the Pilgrims survived starvation, and gave us the first building blocks of America. In Plymouth on December 22 1820 they have started a tradition called the "Five Kernels of Corn."I have also found a poem called the Five kernels of Corn

This year we are not going to do the bird. Turkey will still be on the menu. We are going to do something that my family loves. We are going to barbecue (sp?) turkey wrapped in bacon. Very good. I know it is November and we are going to barbecue. :)

Turkey breast
Smoked bacon
grill
kabob skewers

Method:
Cut the Turkey breast into bite size pieces. Cut the Bacon horizontally. Wrap the bacon around the turkey. Put through a Kabob skewer. Place on top of grill cook until done.

All month I have seen and herd people saying how they are thankful, and what they are thankful for. For some it is to sleep in, days off, family, friends, to have a job....still, to have a home to be living in, religion, and etc. Me I am thankful when I hear from my brother, it means of course that he is still alive. So this year this Thanksgiving to me means different then past years.

No comments: