Thursday, November 19, 2009

Rewriting another play

Writers are usually told to rewrite their work, for whatever reason. When it comes to plays it is different. You rewrite to fit the number the cast, the dialog; if it is a musical then it would be the songs, or choreography.

This particular of rewriting will be a play that I co-wrote for special needs. It is a very cute Christmas play called "Back to Bethlehem" It is about a boy who is special needs who want to be a "normal" boy with normal needs. He has given the task to prepare the hay to be made into a soft bead for the baby Jesus, at the end he is blessed. This play was put on by special needs 3 years ago. The way this play is written is so perfect for special needs. After the performance their wasn't a dry face anywhere to be seen. One amazing sister said to me, (her name shall stay anonymous)

"My husband and I went to see "The Savior of the World" last night. This was far more better."

My bishop wanted me to put this play on for the ward. I so didn't want to. This play is so dear to my heart, because it is written for special needs and they did an excellent performance. The question is how can a cast of non special needs put on the same quality of performance, with a very simplistic play and not be insulated, or bored?

So for the past year, yes year........I know. I have been thinking about this, and been putting it off, for reasons that were poor. You know like "I'm too busy." Truth was I just plane didn't want to do it. So now for the past week I have been thinking of how I can rewrite the play "Back to Bethlehem;" make it more of a challenge for the cast, as in something that would be much more interesting for the cast and audience to keep their attention, but keep the integrity of the original simplistic play.

I keep coming back to one truth. Every time we talk about the Savior and His role within our lives, the spirit will always come. So how am I going to do this? I think I have figured it out, and notes have been taken down. I plan to sit down after the Holidays, birthdays, parents anniversary, New Years and start writing. Then it should be ready for when I start directing it.

No comments: