Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My bout of jealousy

Over the weekend I had the opportunity to watch "Arsenic and Old lace" at a theater. It was very well done, but it was not the same "Arsenic and Old Lace" the I read. This theater did more of the movie version, and not the play, but still very well done.

These actors had 3 weeks of practice as a cast. When it comes to plays and musicals there are 2 types of casts that I love to work with. One is professionals, the other is special needs. The reason is with professionals, and special needs, they do what I tell them. I see the audience perspective, the actors on stage, don't.

The last cast that I directed was not professional or special needs. The result we fraught each other the whole time. My choreographer and I have heard every excuse in the book with this last cast. It was not until I have said:

"Don't question us, we will not make you look stupid, or do anything that would make you feel uncomfortable with."

Then that is when my cast started to trust me, and my choreographer. If the cast members are uncomfortable then the audience will know it, and the odds are that the audience will be uncomfortable also, some will start laughing and others will just feel for the cast member or members.

Why am I writing this? I am just plane jealous of Lee Anderson. The Director of Arsenic and Old Lace. He had a great cast. Yes I did spot some problem areas, but they were very miner, and it just did not matter.

Cheers Everyone!!

No comments: