Monday, September 14, 2009

Hot Carrots that bites back.

A couple of weeks ago I helped my mom make Hot Carrots. The original recipe has pearl onion, jalapenos, and cauliflower. Well I went out side and found some nice looking red peppers. I couldn't remember what they were. We have 5 types of peppers and of course they were not labeled. So I took three of these nice red, plump, peppers, cut them up and put them in our hot carrots mixture. After they were made and bottled, ( yes I am learning how to can), all done. My brother told me what the red peppers were. Get this; they are Santa Fe peppers. So not only do I have jalapeno peppers, but also Santa Fe Peppers. Oh yeah you bite into one one of the veggies, they will bite back! They are so good.

SIL Andria, do you want a bottle? They are good!

If interested this is the recipe, ( this is for 18 pints):

2 1/2 Cup of white vinegar
1 Cup of sugar
1/2 Cup of water
3 tabl. canning salt
1 tabl. mustard seed
1 tabl. celery seed
1/4 tsp turmeric

Combine vinegar, sugar, water, salt, mustard seed, celery seed, and turmeric. Bring to a boil.

in separate pan. 40 pearl onions, 24 jalapenos, 4 bags of baby carrots, 2 heads of cauliflower.
For perpetration of the jalapenos make sure you use gloves. ( if desired 3 Santa Fe peppers, cut)
Peel onions, cut jalapenos, and cauliflower into bite sized pieces. Cook veggies in water for 5 min.

Pack veggies into sterile jars fill with vinegar mixture in jars leaving 1/2-inch head space.
Recommended process time for boiling water caner.
Half pints or pints:
  • altitudes of 0-1,000 ft. =15 min
  • altitudes of 1,000-6,000 ft. =20 min
  • altitudes above 6,000 ft =25
Cheers Everyone!!!

No comments: