Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Birthdays

I have been wanting to write this for awhile, but put it off, for personal reasons.

A good friend of mine had her baby boy on the 17. She was afraid that people would forget her new born son's birthday, reasonable it is on the week of *crunch* time preparation for Christmas. This last week of Christmas, as we know is crazy, to say the least. With last minute gifts to get, concerts, parties, goodies to eat/make, plays, and etc. This is what I told her.

It is easy to let this season take away what is important. My birthday is during this month, during the same week of Christmas; this is what I learned over my 30 years, (remember this is my entire 30 year life span, I have learned a lot). I can't boycott the December holidays, (believe me during jr. high and high school, I have tried). I hated telling people when my birthday is,( I have not met one person who has not forgotten, at sometime). I have had to work, finish finales, go Christmas shopping, do secret Santa (loved to do that one. (no sarcasm was attached)), family parties, and etc. In short I hate it it. I have had this weird dream, that on my birthday I would be some place on a worm, white beach. Or rock climbing. I didn't care, both sounded great, just as long it wasn't snowing and, I wasn't shivering.

During one amazing year I have learned something that have helped put things back in to perspective, and all of these years I have tried to keep that perspective. During this particular year I was having a hard time, on top of everything only one person remembered my birthday; my mom, got to love mom's. As the day wore on, a still small voice whispered to me; reminding me that everyone forgets Christ birthday also. I have felt so selfish after that reminder I cried so hard, I had a hard time catching my breath.

I have told what I remembered to my friend and her husband. He told me that he loved that and, will teach his son that same thing. It made him feel better that his son's birthday is on the 17th. So teach the children what this time of year is all about. To borrow the phrase from "The Grinch stole Christmas" ".....maybe Christmas doesn't come from a store." We celebrate the birth of Christ, His role, sacrifice, teachings, and the hope He has brought to this world.

No comments: