Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Autism and Education

For those of you are not flowing my autism post, you may not know that my nephew is autistic, along with my oldest brother. Lately my nephew has found my music stand fascinating. My music stand is the kind of stand that can be taken apart for storage, put back together for use. I have shown my nephew once how to put the music stand together, for about an half hour he will take it apart and put it back together, it keeps him entertained. His little brain is a mechanical brain; as in he can figure out things fast, stack things up and have them balance. The fun thing is that what he can make things balance, you'd think it would never work.

Researchers at University in Vancouver believe that autism and schizophrenia are genetic opposites in this article called Study links autism and schizophrenia. I thought that it was far fetched, how? Was my question. The *how* they believe according to Philip Stead and Michael Elliot, is that autism and schizophrenia are caused by anomalies in the same places in the human genome. People with out these disabilities have two copies of this genome, autism disorder has one copy, schizophrenia has multiple copy's. Also read if interested comparative genomics of autism and schizophrenia

One parent comment on this find, suggest that she believes in this study. Is it right or not? I believe that further research and study needs to be conducted. Now, I am not saying that they are wrong or right. With this *find* they hope to have new treatments for autism, and schizophrenia. Like I have said more research needs to be done, before they do anything what so ever. If they can treat autism then what would happen to my nephews mechanical brain; would it be in some degree different, or would he still be able to figure out things just as fast if he was treated?

Interesting articles nevertheless. I'll leave it up to you to decide what to think.

No comments: