Saturday, July 18, 2009

My strange obsession

I have a strange obsession with rocks. I came from my grandfather Robb, that was his hobby. He also would make jewelry out of Opal, Crystal and others.

So I went to Stanly Idaho, camping. They have this Dredge. It's called Yankee Fork Gold Dredge. This link has pics of Stanly Idaho, the Gold Dredge and two of her ghost towns. Bonanza and Custer. These towns have amazing history.

Here is some amazing history of the ghost town Bonanza. A love triangle. This happened 130 years ago.

Richard King and Anges Elizabeth King. Were are from England. Richard was a Realtor in Bonanza and he died all of the sodden. Their best friend Charles Hawthorne bought the grave plot for 3 people. They buried Richard in the first plot the best friend named started to "court" Elizabeth. They were courting for a year. When this other guy came into town and just swept Elizabeth off of her feet. They were married and 6 days latter they were found in bead shot to death. The best friend was found in Stanly in a remote cabin dead with her locket, with her picture in it, within his hand. Who was the murder? No one knows, it was never solved. In the other 2 plots are Elizabeth and her new husband.

The Gold Dredge would pull up tons, tons and I mean tons of rock and dirt to get to the gold. They would take only a certain size of gold nugget, and spew the other nuggets out on to the ground. So yes their is still "gold in them their hills" but they are only very small grain like sand. To get anything that is worth something you need to dig miles and miles of dirt and rock to get only an ounce of gold. That can take you up to one year?

So I was walking on the piles of dirt and rock that the dredge spewed out, amazingly enough the piles were very stable and it doesn't look like it, but you still need to be careful when walking on them. I have found lots of fossils, crystal, copper, jade, and amethyst.

Get this my mom found the amethyst and I throw it away thinking that it was nothing. So I had to go to the saloon in Custer to buy the amethyst. Go figure! The Saloon in Custer is now a gift shop. No alcohol is sold their at all, no longer. Now I can say that I have been into a Saloon.

So here is some of my pics of the fossils and others.
This is a fossil of some tree/bark. The one on top is a fossil of some Lichen. I have one of a fern also.

This is my Jade rock in the raw. It is very brittle.

This one is a picture rock. But what it is rely I don't know.


This is a desert rose. This is rely a plant. I have seen it growing at the Creators of the Moon. While I was their I got to walk up the side of a Infernal cone volcano. I got mostly all the way up, I stopped only because I had sandals on. I didn't know how I could walk down, I guess I could roll down, but that would hurt. So now I can say that I have walked up the side of a Volcano.

No comments: